We will educate a diverse student body in an urban setting and within a culture of inclusion, through high quality education, clinical excellence, pioneering research, local investment in our community and a innovative technology, to prepare physicians and biomedical scientific leaders to achieve health and well-being. for our society.
We are privileged to serve our community, state, nation, and the world as innovators in medicine, health, prevention, and wellness.
Wayne State University School of Medicine is located in Detroit and is intimately connected to the exciting resurgence of Detroit and its communities. It is the largest single-campus medical school in the United States and currently enrolls more than 1,200 undergraduate medical students. In addition to the medical program, the School of Medicine offers degree programs leading to MPH, Master of Science, Doctorate, and MD-PhD.
Excellence, innovation and leadership are preeminent values of the medical education enterprise. Accordingly, the School of Medicine is committed to being nationally recognized for developing physicians who are both fully trained to provide 21st century medical care and who are uniquely trained to provide the clinical excellence in urban settings (Urban Clinical Excellence).
The Wayne State University School of Medicine (WSUSOM) invites applications for the position of Associate Dean for Medical Education Learning and Teaching (ADMLT). The position will lead a team of staff currently working to establish a nationally recognized undergraduate medical education (UME) program rooted in the science of learning.
Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean/Vice Dean of Medical Education, the ADMLT has primary responsibility for implementing the mission of the WSUSOM Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) and will perform the following duties :
- Provide institutional leadership in the areas of advanced educational theory, best educational practices, and professional faculty development
- Serving on various committees, including the Curriculum Management Committee, UME Steering Committee, and Academic Advisory Committee
- Develop and maintain strong and collaborative working relationships with faculty and staff in all WSU-SoM offices and academic committees, including Admissions, Student Affairs, Academic and Student Programs, and the Office of Diversity and inclusion
- Identify and develop a critical mass of education professionals both to support the medical education enterprise
- Manage continuous professional development, internal collaborations and external networks, in order to contribute to quality of service, research excellence and innovation
- Help define, implement and enforce academic policies and provide support to faculty, advisors and departments
- Provide ongoing assessment of the OLT to determine organizational or strategic opportunities needed to improve services and deepen the office’s commitment to a culture of inquiry
- Engage and promote the engagement of others in the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)
- Hold a doctorate or medical degree with advanced training in areas related to learning and teaching
- At least 5 years of experience relevant to the various functions of the position.
- Demonstrate experience in medical education in both faculty development and student support.
- Demonstrate a vision of effective service, possess strong leadership, management, and supervisory skills, and have experience in providing academic services to students and faculty.
- Demonstrate experience and commitment to developing a culture of continuous learning and service.
- Have experience with a diverse workforce where goals are often achieved through the use of influence rather than direct supervision.
- Have experience building and launching service delivery programs in a highly decentralized environment.
- Demonstrate work to improve the quality of teaching, learning and assessment.
- Demonstrate experience supporting student learning and/or faculty growth and development.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of current issues around learning, teaching and assessment in medical education
- Demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, with a demonstrated commitment to ensuring collaborative communications with other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate cooperative teamwork skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and faculty at all levels and from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Please visit https://jobs.wayne.edu and find the extension number #046444. For more information regarding the position, please contact Ms. Vickie Muhammad, Manager and Assistant to Dr. Richard Baker, Senior Associate Dean/Associate Dean for Medical Education, Wayne State University School of Medicine at (313) 577-5196 , or via email at [email protected]